Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 2nd, 2019 17:00

XPS 15 9560 Video Card Issue

Hello,

The laptop has dual video cards of Intel HD Graphics 630 and Nvidia GTX 1050. I have recently experienced an issue where the video cards do not seem to work properly. When launching games, they either crash right after or have a pop-up that says failed to create a graphics device. A similar issue happened when opening programs including Photoshop, where it freezes right after opening. I can access the Intel HD graphics control panel; however, the Nvidia control panel and the Geforce experience freeze and stop responding right after opening them. I have tried updating the drivers, as well as uninstalling and reinstalling them, but that does not fix the issue. The Device Manager states that both devices are working properly. I tried running video test and video stress test from the Dell Supportassist on them. The Intel HD Graphics 630 ran them just fine, but the Nvidia GTX 1050 failed to run any of them. I can "bypass" the issue by disabling the Intel HD Graphics 630 in Device Manager then running games and programs; that seems to bypass the freezing, but the games ran extremely laggy.

What is the cause of the issue? How do I fix it? Thanks!

May 12th, 2019 06:00

Hi there. Solution below. I bought Driver Easy premium version, let it run and install all updates for the laptop. After it updated everything possible (intel UHD graphics, nVidia graphics, system related updates, and any other updates) everything finally worked fine. This honestly has been the only fix, nothing else works, trust me, I've tried for over three months. I've also got Dell XPS 15 9560 with Intel UHD 630 and nVidia GTX 1050 card. I've got the same issues as described above, for months i've tried so many things. Manually downloaded and installed intel and nVidia graphics, rolled back drivers, nothing worked. Eventually gave up. I started thinking I had hardware issues. Had my motherboard replaced, everything worked fine, but the graphics card issues started again after a few weeks. I was certain it wasnt hardware related problems. Neither Dell nor nvidia could explain, Dell simply wanted me to replace the motherboard all the time. But, I decided to take the plunge and buy Driver Easy. It took some time to download all updates as it downloads through the client. It will ask to restart a few times, simply follow instructions. After everything was updated, the nvidia control panel opened, graphics card was being utilised, I could run applications with nvidia graphics card, no problem. There is definitely a driver related conflict, and Dell has been struggling to figure it out. I hope this helps! I know Driver Easy premium 

1 Message

September 19th, 2019 21:00

Blackscreen and then didn't startup its hardware problem maybe, IF your intel 630 crashed and then didint start up your computer (Dell XPS 15 9560 laptop)

Try this my solution

1. You using windows safe = step 1 press Window+key R (Run), write MSCONFIG then select boot SAFE BOOT enable and select minimal then press OK.  video here :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwIOazT1BxU

2. Enter the windows safe mode then press windows key write Computer management then Enter, Choose Device Manager - Display adapters - select Intel(R) HD Graphic 630 then click Rightmouse choose Enable device (Or disable the device then restart your computer then your computer will startup ,that's mean your intel graphic card have some hardware problem)

3. Key windows+ Key R (Run) - MSCONFIG - BOOT - SAFE BOOT Disable the mode then OK,

4. Restart your computer

(Im sooo Sorry my English is sooo bad, but i solve this problem its works for me) Thank You

Community Manager

• 

54.4K Posts

January 3rd, 2019 07:00

For my notes, click my DELL-username and via private message send me the PC service tag number.

Reinstall our OEM drivers, one at time, restarting after each one. When done, retest =

Intel Chipset

Intel GPU

Nvidia GPU

January 3rd, 2019 12:00

I have reinstalled them. The issue is still present. 

Community Manager

• 

54.4K Posts

January 4th, 2019 05:00

For my notes, click my DELL-username and via private message send me the PC service tag number.

* The AC power adapter must be connected to the laptop
* Disconnect all other external devices from the laptop except the AC power adapter
* Download/Save the BIOS file to the Windows desktop
* Close all unnecessary software applications (Steam, Anti-virus, etc. )
* Find the saved BIOS file on the Windows desktop
* Right click the file and choose, "Run as administrator". Note, you do not need to "extract" the file. Just run it
* Follow the prompted instructions. The laptop will reboot on its own
* Once back into Windows, restart the laptop and then retest

January 4th, 2019 19:00

Did that. The problem still exists. 

35 Posts

January 5th, 2019 05:00

Hello I had exact the same issues. Lightroom crashed permanently and other OpenGL software too if I used the nVidia device. If I used the Intel card in Lightroom everything was fine. Are you still on Win 10 1803 or jet on 1809? I don't know if this problem is only driver related or os related too. Maybe it was bios related. I think i was on 1.4 but not sure. I tried everything like complete driver uninstall and fresh install of the Dell drivers ... no luck. And the same again but with manufacturer driver ... again no luck. The problem persists. For me the only working solution was to do a complete factory reset. After this i did the 1809 update and only used the original but outdated Dell drivers for a while. I'm now on Win 10 1809 with the Intel drivers from Dell (24.20.100.6287). And I use the newest drivers from nVidia (25.21.14.1735). There are newer drivers from Intel but I'm afraid to install them. After the reset I red an article that the Intel Drivers had issues with 1809. Maybe this was the reason but i can not recover if i used this special version. Bye Mrcus

Community Manager

• 

54.4K Posts

January 5th, 2019 06:00

You should first save all of your data to a USB HDD. Then consider trying a Windows 10 refresh of the operating system. #3 here. If still no go after #3, you are looking at doing #5 or #6.

1 Message

March 8th, 2019 07:00

I have the same issue with my dell XPS 15 9560. Were you able to get this issue resolved? If so, what did you end up doing? Thanks.

May 6th, 2019 02:00

I have exactly the same issue with my XPS 15 9560 since a year ago .....AutoCAD, Sketchup, Games(FI FA 19/Assassin Creed/Titanfall 2) all freeze when startup, but open properly when when 1050 is disabled in device manager

BIOS 1.12.1 Intel 630 21.20.16.4664 Nvidia 23.21.13.9125

May 20th, 2019 02:00

Thanks, I'll give that a try. 

Really, we shouldn't have to buy 3rd party software for for a $2,500 laptop to work, but I'll try anything because Dell hasn't been able to resolve anything since this problem started in 2017. I'll let you know if it works out!

May 24th, 2019 17:00

Thanks so much! This was the only thing that worked! Spent probably 15 hours trying to diagnose and fix this problem since it started in 2017. 

August 2nd, 2019 01:00

Thanks a lot!! Driver Easy Pro did the trick. Everything are back to normal. Really disappointed with Dell though. After replacing the motherboard and countless call to the service centre. The problem was eventually solved by a 3rd party app

3 Posts

February 8th, 2020 05:00

i haave the same issue after dell updated my laptop!!!!!!!

2 Posts

February 18th, 2020 03:00

Same issue here on linux pop_os (ubuntu)

To be honest, i expected no issues from dell but having all kinds of issues (docking station also not working, i can get the 3440*1440 resolution on a docking station but usb not working).
Closing the lid makes the GPU crash, ......
I will never buy a dell laptop again for sure.

No Events found!